||October 28, 2016
The medical biller position maintains and distributes updated payer information as it becomes available, follows established billing procedures for timely and thorough collection of open invoices, responds to rejection and error reports, and complete work reports as assigned within a designated period of time
Responsible for all phases of the billing and collection activities, including but not limited to:
- Work claims from assigned various reports such as: aging report over 120 days, timely filing report, credit balance report and rejection report.
- Research and correct rejected claims and post payments.
- Resubmissions of claims as required with supporting documentation as needed.
- Post payments or rejections received.
- Resolve billing problems with clients.
- Answer telephone inquiries from clients, caregivers or insurance companies.
- Calling payers and/or working on payer websites to status or reprocess claims as necessary to secure payment for claims.
- Update patient information as required.
- All tasks listed on cash posting job description.
- Various reporting as required by department and/or management.
- Other tasks as assigned by management.
- Excellent verbal communication skills – polite, friendly, helpful and courteous
- Detail oriented, excellent documentation skills, and the ability to follow through to the end
- Ability to work independently and complete assignments timely and accurately
- Knowledge of billing guidelines and resources for Medicaid, Medicare and commercial insurances
- Proficient and strong computer skills
- Ability to perform in a fast paced environment
- Displays professionalism and a positive attitude
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job is performed in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a largely sedentary role. Individuals may need to sit or stand as need. This position may occasionally lift up to 25 pounds for files and computer printouts.
This is a full-time position. Days are Monday through Friday and hours of work vary from 7:00am to 4:30pm. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
No travel required for this position.
Required Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED diploma or equivalent number of years’ experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Medical billing/coding experience.
- Collections of insurance claims experience.
- Medicare and/or Medicaid background.
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) experience.
- EDI transmissions experience preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
None required for this position.
All other duties as assigned by management. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are request of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.